The Missouri Secretary of State is proposing a new administrative rule that would restrict state funding to public libraries. Read the proposed rule here.
The Kirkwood Public Library Board of Trustees passed the following resolution at the November 16th meeting urging the rejection of the rule.
There is a 30-day public comment period ending December 15, 2022. If you would like to submit a comment, you can do so via:
- a form provided by the Missouri Library Association,
- an email to firstname.lastname@example.org – Be sure to have the proposed rule number in the subject line. Subject: 15 CSR 30-200.015; or your comments may be ignored, or
- U.S. mail to: Missouri Secretary of State, P.O. Box 1767, Jefferson City, MO 65102
The Kirkwood Public Library mission and policies are in place to support our diverse community and their needs. Our policies support the right of parents to decide what is right for their children.
Resolution Opposing 15 CSR 30-200.015 Library Certification Requirement for the Protection of Minors submitted by the Missouri Secretary of State
WHEREAS, the Kirkwood Public Library Board of Trustees believes that the right to read is an
important part of the intellectual freedom that is basic to democracy;
WHEREAS, the Kirkwood Public Library Board of Trustees upholds the belief that responsibility for a
child’s reading must rest with the parent or guardian, not with the library. The library will not
infringe on the parent’s right to choose materials for their children; and
WHEREAS, the Kirkwood Public Library Board of Trustees does not support the removal of local
control where library administration is concerned.
RESOLVED, that the Board of Trustees of the Kirkwood Public Library:
- Stands steadfast in its commitment to uphold intellectual freedom;
- Defends a patron’s freedom to read and asserts that it is the sole right and
responsibility of the parent or guardian to determine what library material is
appropriate for their children; and
- Affirms that policy and collection development decisions should remain at the
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the Board of Trustees of the Kirkwood Public Library:
- Urges the Joint Committee on Administrative Rules to reject 15 CSR 30-200.015.
UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED this 16th day of November 2022, by the Board of Trustees of
Kirkwood Public Library.