Check It Out!
Kirkwood Public Library values local nonprofits and the communities they serve. Nonprofits continue to enjoy a 90% discount when reserving our meeting room. The links collected on this page point Nonprofits to helpful local agencies that provide advice, counseling, and resources.
We have also introduced the Nonprofit Library Card to provide additional benefits to local nonprofits. These include 50% off all types of printing in the library and access to checking out special equipment. Come in any time with proof of your nonprofit status and proof of authorization to receive your card!
Are you a local author, musician, or filmmaker? This collection is for you! The Community Spotlight is on CDs, DVDs, and fiction and nonfiction books by local creators, or on items featuring the St. Louis region.
To find out if your work is eligible for inclusion, click here to review the full policy.
To donate your work or request that the Library purchase a copy, please complete an application.
Book Club at the End of the Universe
Meets monthly on a Thursday evening at 7 pm.
Explore new and fantastical worlds with a selection of Sci-Fi and Fantasy books.
Books on Tap
Meets monthly on a Wednesday evening at 7 pm at 612 Kitchen & Cocktails.
Ever thought that books are best discussed over drinks and food? You’ll love Books on Tap. We read everything from biography to contemporary literature, chosen by popular vote.
Community for Understanding and Hope Book Group
Meets monthly on a Thursday evening at 7 pm.
In the quest to transform the Kirkwood area into a prejudice-free community of highly respectful individuals, CFUH initiates ongoing dialogue and social interaction to create an environment of understanding and healing. This group is co-sponsored by Kirkwood Public Library.
Meets monthly on a Wednesday afternoon at 2 pm.
Crack the clues with the Mystery Readers Book Club! Join our super sleuths as we enjoy a wide array of new and recently released mysteries. Titles chosen by popular vote.
Readers’ Circle Book Discussion
Meaningful discussions are held in the lower level meeting room on the first Thursday of September, November, January, March and May at 7 pm.
We all suggest books for the coming year and vote in June for the selections, which include best sellers, non fiction and classics. Run by Library volunteers.
Saturday Morning Perks
Meets every 6 weeks on a Saturday morning at 10 am.
Wake up your body and perk up your mind with our Saturday morning group. We’ll provide the coffee; you just bring your thoughts! Selections are both fiction and nonfiction.
Fill out the forms below to receive a list of suggested books based on your interests.
Get Book Recommendations
Get Children's Book Recommendations
Can’t find it at your Library? We’d love to hear from you! Please fill out the form below, stop by the Library or call (314) 821 5770, Option 3 to recommend new items to add for our collection.
Request a Purchase
Inter-library Loan (ILL) allows a patron to request items not available through the Municipal Library Consortium from libraries across the country. ILL is available to Kirkwood cardholders who hold a valid library card with less than $10.00 in fines/fees.
While in the library, inter-library loan items may be requested online using the FirstSearch database and Worldcat Discovery. Otherwise requests can also be made by visiting the Reference Desk or calling (314) 821 5770, Option 3. Please provide as much information as possible about the item you desire. Please note that we cannot request items that are currently owned by the MLC, including items checked out, reference items, items released in the past 12 months, or items on order in our system.
KPL ILL Borrowing Guidelines
Eligibility and Limits on Interlibrary Loan Borrowing
- Interlibrary loan service is available to Kirkwood Public Library card holders in good standing–i.e. owing no more than $10.00 in outstanding overdue fines. Eligible patrons may have up to five active requests at a time. Active requests include items currently on loan to the patron and requests not yet filled.
- Books, audiovisual materials, including videotapes, audiotapes, DVDs, CDs, and photocopies of periodical articles not owned by KPL or the MLC can be requested through interlibrary loan.
- Items that cannot be borrowed include any item currently owned by the MLC, including items checked out, reference items, items released in the past 12 months, or items on order in our system.
- There is no cost associated with requesting an ILL for Kirkwood Public Library cardholders.
- Overdue Fines and Replacement Costs Patrons are responsible for any overdue fines and replacement costs. Fines for overdue ILL items are $0.25 per day, per item. Replacement costs for damaged or lost items are determined by the lending institution, and may amount to many times the actual value of the item.
- Loan periods and renewal options are determined by the lending institution. A lender may recall an item at any time. Some libraries do not allow renewals, or require that items be used only within the library.
- Renewals, which are solely at the discretion of the lending institution (not KPL), cannot be guaranteed. KPL will request one renewal per item. Requests for renewal must be made at least 5 days before an item’s due date. If the request is made later, fines may be accrued while waiting for a response from the lending library.
- Fines may be incurred by the patron for overdue ILL materials, damage to loaned items, or other abuse of ILL privileges. See Policy above for details.